Autumn is quickly approaching! I feel like it was just yesterday that Daniel and I were living in New Jersey, and I was super pregnant–or so I thought. I would discover a couple months, and thirty four pounds later, that I couldn’t possibly even fathom what being super pregnant would feel like.
We moved to New York mid-April, and I delivered our baby girl exactly on her due date at the end of July. What a transition it has been! My summer was basically nonexistent, with the chaos of moving to another state and pregnancy discomfort. I really made an effort to keep active daily, but it was a challenge! We are so thankful to now be settled, more familiarized with our new town, and enjoying some of the festivals, cafes and incredible sights Upstate NY has to offer.
As a new mom, I am focusing on being healthy and growing more comfortable in my own skin. I ask myself, how can I raise a daughter with a healthy body image in today’s society if I myself am nitpicking at every little body imperfection or insecurity?
I am grateful to be fitting into most of my pre-pregnancy clothes (except for those size 4 jeans I used to wear. Honestly, I don’t know if I will ever be a size 4 again. And that’s okay), but I am excited to be investing in new fashion pieces little by little. My sweet husband has supported this new post-baby wardrobe idea one hundred percent.
As for skincare, I’ve gotten a bit lazy ever since the baby was born. With a newborn to feed frequently, the need to feed myself somewhere in between, and I haven’t even mentioned how hard it is to find time to clean, I have been following a basic, natural skincare regimen. And by basic, I mean that most mornings I don’t even wash my face until I get in the shower. Which, by then, is normally in the afternoon. I may need to amp it up though in a month or two as the weather gets colder and my skin gets dry and flaky.
As of yesterday, it has been 8 weeks since my baby girl was born. I am essentially recovered from childbirth. But I’m keeping life simple by dressing in–here we go again–basic attire when I need to leave the house to run errands or do some grocery shopping. Yep, I’m pretty much a “Basic B” right now, but sanity is more important than vanity, right? Okay, maybe I try a little bit harder to dress nicely on Daniel’s days off.
I find that a bright accessory adds some fun to a mostly neutral outfit. And makeup-wise, a tinted moisturizer, luminizer on the cheek bones and inner corners of the eyes and cream blush do wonders to bring life to a tired face. If I have some extra time, I like to “wake up” my eyes with some eyeshadow and mascara, or I’ll give my lips definition with a lip color slightly darker than their natural color.
Here are some of my most recent Fall favorites:
1) Liverpool Jeggings. Supersoft fabric and the superb stretch make this the perfect jean to pair with a cozy sweater or Fall-inspired tunic. Zappos.com
2) Grey Fringed Edge Scarf. Need I say more? Scarves are fashionable and warm on cool autumn days, and a necessity transitioning into winter. Mango.com
3) Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. I use this daily as a moisturizer (mixed with aloe vera and a few other ingredients to make a nice winter skin cream), add it to my bath water, and use it to remove makeup at night. Oxygenboutique.com
4) bare Minerals Lash Domination Mascara. A clean, long-wearing mascara that makes my light strawberry blonde lashes look thick, separated and dark. Bareminerals.com
5) Dr. Bronner’s Pure Castile Soap. All-natural and never tested on animals. The best peppermint is perfect for alleviating sore muscles in the shower, and the lavender scent is wonderfully calming. Available at select grocery stores
6) “Beauty Lies Within” Makeup Bag. A nice reminder that beauty is not just skin-deep. Accessorize.com
7) Ray-Ban Wayferers. These have a fun, irresistible retro vibe. The Real Real.com
I’ll be back soon with some new favorite outfit inspo!